Monday, April 25, 2011

Pecan Lemon Bars


It has been way too long since I've baked something! Being at home for Easter gave me a chance to use a kitchen for once since Christmas, and I baked for hours. By the end of my baking marathon, my feet were so tired from standing on the tile that they were starting to feel numb. I might have overdone it a bit...

But I have three new recipes to show for all my work, and here is the first. This one is probably my favorite. It is super simple to throw together and uses a combination of flavors I have never tried before. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm a sucker for anything lemon, but everyone liked these, so I give them two thumbs up!

Ingredients:
1 cup + 1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp powdered sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Press the mixture into the base of the baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.

In another large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, pecans, coconut, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Pour over the partially baked base and spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is firm. Remove from the oven.

Mix together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until smooth. Spread it evenly over the topping and then let cool completely. Carefully remove the bars from the pan and cut into bars.

4 comments:

  1. "Super simple" made me picture Sandra Lee. :S Haha. They look very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. Those pictures are making me hungry. Adding pecans is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you substitute anything else for the coconut? :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure! You can sub more pecans for the coconut no problem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails