Friday, January 7, 2011

Mint Chocolate Muffins


At the beginning of Christmas break, I knew I had to be prepared to do some serious baking, so I walked down the baking aisle in the grocery store to look at all of the new goodies they had out for the holidays. The dark chocolate and mint chips immediately caught my eye and made me start to get visions of mint brownies and mint cookies...yum!

But wanting to make something different than just another cookie or brownie recipe, I decided to make some muffins. I suppose you could drizzle some chocolate on these or even put icing on them, but I wanted these muffins to be super simple and easy to store. To make them even cuter, I baked them in my heart-shaped muffin pan. This did not work out as well as I had hoped...I filled the first batch with too much batter and they had massive muffin tops, and then I was too impatient when removing them from the pan and half of them busted during removal. Oh well, at least the second batch came out well for pictures, and both batches still tasted great even in pieces.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dark chocolate & mint chips, divided
2/3 cup water
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder


Preheat oven to 325°F. Line or grease 12 muffin cups.

Combine 1/4 cup dark chocolate & mint chips and water in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.

Beat butter, mint extract, sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Stir in the flour, baking powder, cocoa, warm chocolate mixture, and remaining dark chocolate & mint chips until combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes and then turn the muffins out onto a cooling rack.

5 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious!! Wonderful recipe :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are darling, crumbling or not! Chocolate and mint are always a great pairing, but in these shapes really sweet presentation to! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look so great! Thanks for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across your site as I was looking for a way to use up my remaining mint chips. Your pictures are lovely and I look forward to trying your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! looks so yummy. . thanks for posting the recipe.=)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails