Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


Since I had the chance to come home for Thanksgiving, I just had to take advantage of the fact that I had a usable kitchen at my disposal and bake something. My boyfriend had come home with me for the break, and I didn't want to make something he wouldn't help me eat. I definitely didn't need a whole batch of cookies to myself after the Thanksgiving feast we just had.

Herein lies the dilemma. There are very few cookies that my boyfriend actually enjoys, and oatmeal raisin is one of them. However, I avoid raisins like the plague. They have always tainted my view of oatmeal cookies. So I decided to make a compromise and substitute cranberries for the raisins. That way, we both could enjoy some festive cookies! (These would even be a good cookie to make for Christmas. Perhaps substitute pistachios for walnuts? Then you could have red and green flecked oatmeal cookies...yum!)

For the recipe, I pulled out my mom's trusty red notebook full of holiday cookie recipes since I knew she would have a good oatmeal cookie recipe in there somewhere. This recipe made the best oatmeal cookies I have ever had! This, of course, could be due to the fact that I didn't have to pick out the raisins, but you should be the judge.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet (or two) with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, combine the eggs, dried cranberries, and vanilla and let sit to plump up the cranberries.

Using an electric mixer, cream together the sugars and shortening.

Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and beat just until combined. Add the oatmeal and walnuts and beat just until combined.

Scoop out the batter onto the cookie sheet(s) and bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails