Monday, August 2, 2010

Lime Yogurt Cake


Ina Garten's lemon yogurt cake recipe pops up frequently in the world of food blogs, and every time I see it, I always think about how wonderful it would be to have a slice right then and there. Not wanting to simply duplicate a recipe that has been done hundreds of times, I decided to mix things up a bit and make a lime version. I had a bottle of key lime juice on hand and used that instead of plain lime juice, and it works just as well.

My mom has been wanting me to make something relatively healthy instead of my usual butter and sugar-filled cakes and cookies, so this recipe was perfect. Oil instead of butter is always a good compromise, and the sugary glaze on top can always be left out. But leaving out sugar is never my style, so I'll just have to eat the top all by myself.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup key lime yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 eggs
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup lime juice

glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice


Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a large loaf pan, or multiple small loaf pans.

In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lime zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt into the wet ingredients.

With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).

Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lime juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lime juice. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Pour the lime juice and sugar mixture over the top of the cake and allow it to soak in while the cake is still warm. (I find keeping the cake in the loaf pan at this point keeps the liquid from going anywhere but into the cake.) Let it cool completely. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on a cooling rack.

Put a piece of wax paper underneath the cake and cooling rack to catch any drips, and then pour the glaze over the top of the cooled cake.

5 comments:

  1. I've made this cake with tangerine juice and zest and topped it with a chocolate glaze. It was yummY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this cake looks gorgeous - I love the step by step pictures. I don't think I could resist that icing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pastries are delicious and this one looks really good. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I baked your lime yoghurt cake. And the only thing I can say it's 'OMG! It's delicious!'
    Marvellous cake, strongly lime, incredible taste!

    Greetings from Poland! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails