Thursday, July 8, 2010

Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries


This week's weather has been nothing but constant rain. Consequently, I have not been very inspired to bake anything. In order to put some pressure behind baking something new and getting out a blog post, I did what any internet savvy college student would do - I asked people on facebook what to make!

My first suggestion came from two of my aunts who strongly encouraged me to take on the task of making panna cotta. The only thing I knew about panna cotta is that it's Italian and it's some kind of custard/pudding thing. I enlisted a recipe from my favorite Italian chef, Giada de Laurentiis, and went to work. I did like not having to use the oven for once since it kept the kitchen much cooler, but I had to wait all night for the panna cotta to set. I am not a patient person... But as soon as I got home from work, I got to try my new creation.

The flavor is very delicate and subtle, which is very different from the desserts I am used to. (I think drizzling some honey over the top and adding more fruit would make it much more enjoyable for a sugar freak like myself.) The texture is silky smooth and light, which makes it a great dessert for the summer time. Overall, my first panna cotta experience has been very enjoyable, and I have five more ramekins of it waiting for me in the refrigerator!

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
1 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
3 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup honey, plus more for drizzling if desired
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups fresh berries


Pour the whole milk into a saucepan and whisk in the gelatin. Let the mixture sit for 3-5 minutes.

Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir for about 5 minutes, just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil.

Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Stir the mixture for 5-7 minutes, until the sugar dissolves.

Remove from the heat and pour into 6 ramekins or glasses. Cool slightly, and then refrigerate for about 6 hours until set. When serving, spoon berries on top and drizzle with honey if desired.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so fluffy and creamy! I made panna cotta recently with a base of sour cream and brown sugar. It was delicious! If you like those flavors, I suggest you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only does this recipe sound delicious, but I LOVE all of the photos on your blog, they're amazing: beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Monica: Thanks for the suggestion! I love those flavors and will have to try that for sure.

    @Summer: Thank you so much! I'm trying to improve my food photography as much as I can this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about making panna cotta with stewed berries for the longest time. This looks so beautiful and creamy. Now you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails