Friday, July 2, 2010

Lemon Bars


Out of all the recipes I have posted, this is the one I have been wanting to make for the longest time. Lemon bars have always been one of my favorite desserts, and I have never actually made them myself. They are so delicate and creamy, but still packed with tons of sweet, citrus flavor. In my opinion, lemon bars are the perfect summer treat!

The weather has been horribly rainy for the past couple of days due to the hurricane/tropical storm south of Texas, so I have made it my mission to take advantage of the sucky weather and bake everything I can this long weekend. (I already made some ice cream as well, but that will be addressed in the next post!) My kitchen is definitely getting a workout this weekend, so I hope you enjoy all the posts that are coming your way!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
grated ring from 1 lemon
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 lemons)
3/4 cup whipping cream


Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.

Mix the powdered sugar, flour, and salt in a bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (You could always use a food processor, as well.) Press the mixture into the bottom of the greased pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together until blended. Add the lemon rind and juice and mix well.

Lightly whip the cream and fold it into the egg mixture. Pour over the still warm crust, return the pan to the oven, and bake until set, about 40 minutes.

Cool completely before cutting into bars. Dust with powdered sugar for added eye appeal. I think lemon bars are best when they have been refrigerated for a couple hours. The refrigeration makes them even more refreshing on a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails