Thursday, July 29, 2010

Italian Chocolate Cookies


Ever since I tasted these cookies three years ago, I have been trying to find a recipe for Italian chocolate cookies that can compare. Unfortunately, my attempts at recreating these fantastic cookies did not even come close. I first tasted these cookies because my boyfriend's mom sends a huge bag of them in a care package around the holidays every year. And of course, I steal a couple...Okay, maybe more than a couple.

Since I have been craving these all summer and the holiday season is nowhere in sight, I finally got around to asking for the recipe. I am so glad I did because I will be making these every chance I get. In fact, these have become my favorite cookie! Their cakey soft texture, delicate spicy flavor, and sweet layer of icing is incredible. You will be wishing it was the holidays just for an excuse to make these constantly.

This recipe is originally doubled, but I think the halved version makes the perfect amount of cookies if you don't plan on sharing. You should definitely double the ingredients for the holidays or else your friends and family might steal all of them from you...Blasphemy! Who does that?!

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups of flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda

icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.

Mix the melted butter and sugar together until it reaches a gel-like consistency. Add the eggs and milks and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and half the flour. Beat just until combined and then mix in the rest of the flour.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (You can even refrigerate overnight. It makes the dough easier to form into balls.)

Roll into round, shiny balls.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Cool completely before icing.

For the icing, stir the 3 ingredients together. The icing should be really thick so that it dries quickly to form a thick layer. You can either drizzle the icing over the cookies or dip the tops of the cookies into the icing. (I found that the dipping was a bit easier.)

17 comments:

  1. I love how simple and perfect these cookies look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look great and I'm also a fan of cakey texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! When you half this recipe, do you use two eggs or just one? How do I half three eggs?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, the recipe I posted is halved. You would double it to make the original recipe. No splitting eggs in half is required. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing! I saw your stuff on seriouseats.com. great job! I love little cookies like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops! I mean, I saw you on tastespotting.com! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also found you on tastespotting!
    these look great, i cant wait to try then out!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these and they are my newest food obsession.

    These are so good.. and your photos are nice too!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Jenna, I'm so glad someone else can understand my love for these cookies!! And I'm so happy you are enjoying them. Thanks for the comment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. they look like a lot of love went into them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are AMAZING! You need pass on your photography skills to me. These cookies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks so much, Memória! You don't need my n00b skills - you have fantastic photography yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a bit underwhelmed after making these. I'm all about spice and chocolate, but I found these to be just so-so. I found the dough to be tasty, but the baked cookies weren't sweet enough, chocolate enough or spicy enough for my tastes. Then after I frosted them, all I could taste was the frosting. Maybe if the recipe had ginger in it...I remember being surprised that it didn't. Or could be, this just wasn't my day to make cookies.

    Love your blog though. Great pics and interesting posts. Keep up the good work,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely agree that the cookies by themselves have a very delicate flavor and could use more punch. I guess I just love the sweetness of the glaze so much I don't think much about the cookie underneath...But I think I have a remedy!

    If you want more sweetness and spice, I would suggest adding 2 cups of chocolate chips to the batter, as well as doubling the spice amounts. I don't think ginger is traditionally used in these cookies, but you could try it if you want it to be more like a ginger cookie.

    Thank you so much for your comment, and I hope these modifications create a cookie more suited to your tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these last night, except I accidentally read teaspoons as tablespoons for the spices. It turned out to be a delicious mistake: the cookies were super flavorful and spicy. The icing balanced it out gorgeously. Everyone that I've given them to has loved them so far. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVEEEEEEEE your blog. Stunning photos and recipes. Hope you're enjoying your last year at school!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cookies look so cool! I'm such a fan of soft, fluffy cookies, so this recipe is definitely getting bookmarked. Yum!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails