Monday, July 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies


I have had a bag of crushed toffee staring at me from the pantry for almost a month now. Not knowing exactly what recipe I wanted to use it in, it has been untouched for far too long. Time to change that.

I was looking through some recipes on foodnetwork.com for inspiration and saw that over 700 people had reviewed Alton Brown's chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe and had given it all 5 stars. With that many reviews and that high of a rating, these cookies had to be good! Of course, I had to add a slight twist to the recipe by using the toffee pieces. But as far as I'm concerned, toffee only makes things better.

These cookies turned out pretty good, but I think they would have been better had I used actual bread flour. Also, I found that the cooking time listed on the recipe was WAY too long. I shortened it from 14 minutes to 9 because I don't particularly like my cookies burned. Chilling the dough in between batches would also probably have helped the cookies not spread out so much, making them thicker and chewier. I think all these improvements gives me an excuse to make them again...I need to buy some more toffee.

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups toffee


Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.

Pour the melted butter in a stand-mixer bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar and cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until they come together and have a gel-like consistency. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and baking soda just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and toffee.

Chill the dough for a couple hours and then scoop onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown.

3 comments:

  1. Chocolate chips AND toffee- my dad and I are going to be in heaven when I make these...I just hope we can wait long enough while the dough chills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I consider as a perfect midnight snack! I always have some of these! Thanks a lot for this nice experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly yummy and really looks delicious! I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Basset Certification.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails