Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Triple Chocolate Cupcakes


Since the key lime pie was no longer an option to take to the office, I decided to make something else. I went with chocolate cupcakes because they would be super easy to make with a box cake mix. Plus, almost everyone loves chocolate cupcakes! When I was at the store, I saw a box of triple chocolate fudge cake mix, so I grabbed that instead of the plain chocolate one.

When it came to the frosting, I wanted to try something new. I'm really glad I did because this chocolate syrup frosting is one of my favorites now! Sorry about the pictures not showcasing the frosting...I didn't pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes until I got to the office so that everything would be easier to transport. But the frosting is a MUST! It makes the cupcakes so much more delicious!

Ingredients:
CUPCAKES:
24 paper liners
1 cup chocolate chips
1 pkg (18.5 oz) triple chocolate fudge cake mix
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

FROSTING:
8 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake cups with the paper liners.

Place the cake mix, chocolate chips, cream cheese, water, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend for 2 minutes more. Scoop 1/3 cup batter into each lined cup, filling it 3/4 of the way full. (You get 22-24 cupcakes.)

Bake for 20-23 minutes until the cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Cool for 5 minutes and then move to a rack to cool for at least 15 more minutes before frosting.

For the frosting, place the butter, cocoa powder, and chocolate syrup in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer until just combined. Add the sugar, milk, and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Use it to frost those cooled cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. ooh! those look good...bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicios!! Gotta love chocolate. I love how the icing uses chocolate syrup!! I've never seen that before!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, using chocolate syrup is such a genius idea! Wish I had come up with it...lol.

    Just checked out your blog, and I must say that your sticky buns definitely caught my eye. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails