Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Blueberry Streusel Bread

Baking with summer fruit would not be the same without the use of the blueberry. For some reason, I used to hate blueberries. I think it was the skin that weirded me out, but I have grown to love them over the years. My favorite way to eat them is of course when they are baked in things, but eating the berries when they are frozen is a cool treat in itself. Breakfast food is my all-time favorite, so what better way to use blueberries than to put them in a coffeecake-like bread that can be eaten at any time of day? I can't think of one, so I used my last pint of fresh blueberries to make this amazingly moist and buttery blueberry streusel bread.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries

topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp butter, cut in pieces

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9" square baking dish.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine. Then mix in the milk until blended. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir just enough to blend the ingredients. (The less stirring, the more tender your bread will be.) Add the blueberries and stir gently, trying to not break the blueberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish and spread out evenly.

For the topping, place the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a mixing bowl. Cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.

Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, which is about 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. just tried this recipe and it came out yummy! this was exactly what I was craving! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails