Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mango Bread

My aunt once again got us the amazing Harry & David 12-month fruit gift this past Christmas. Lo and behold, this month we got mangoes. I normally love the fruit that we get, like the pears and apples and such, but I have never really been that into mangoes.

Apparently, neither is the rest of my family since the mangoes have been sitting in the refrigerator getting more and more ripe by the day. I touched them this morning to see how soft they were, and I knew that they would be in the garbage sooner than later, so it was finally time to bust out a new recipe. What can you even make with mangoes? I looked through the indexes of my cookbooks and found recipes for mango bread and mango ice cream. Okay, that doesn't sound too bad, right? Since I have enough to make both, here is part 1 of mango madness: mango bread.

I've watched people on Food Network always lecturing about the proper way to cut mangoes since they have that weird long, skinny bone seed in the middle. I decided I was skilled enough to just jump in and slice it up, so my first attempt was pretty dreadful...

But I got better! (Thanks to a how-to in one of my cookbooks.)

5 mangoes gave me this whole bowl of fruit. I'm only going to use a couple cups for the bread, and I'll save the rest for the ice cream later.

So, now on to the actual recipe...

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped ripe mangoes (about 2-3 mangoes)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 2 9"x5" loaf pans.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the oil.

Fold the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt) into the creamed ingredients in 2 batches.

Fold in the mangoes, coconut, and the pecans.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pans.

Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. I baked this tonight after seeing your recipe on tastespotting. Absolutely amazing. I have put this on my blog with a slightly adapted recipe.
    http://sposu.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-aunt-once-again-got-us-harry-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails