Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Time to break the trend of cookies with a post about cupcakes. And not just any cupcakes, lemon cream cheese cupcakes. I'm a sucker for anything with lemon in it, and both the cake and frosting for this cupcake contain a healthy dose of the citrus flavor. This recipe makes enough batter for exactly 12 cupcakes, so exercise some self-control and do not, I repeat, DO NOT lick that spoon or spatula. I know you want to. You may, however, indulge on the frosting since there will be more than enough.

Ingredients:

Lemon Cream Cheese Cake:
6 tbsp butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp grated lemon peel
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 tbsp butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper baking cups.

In a large bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, lemon peel, sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Add flour and beat on low speed until just combined.

Divide mixture among baking cups and smooth surface.

Bake about 25 minutes and cool on wire rack.

To make the frosting, beat the butter, cream cheese, and lemon peel with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Grandually beat in the powdered sugar. Ice the cupcakes once they have cooled.

5 comments:

  1. they look so inviting and gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took these out of the oven (I substituted lime for lemons.) The one I tasted was delicious but definitely heavy/dense, more like a muffin than a cupcake; I'm a little afraid it's going to be a hockey puck when it cools. Was there a reason you didn't use all self-rising flour?

    In any case, the flavor is wonderful. I threw a little lime juice in the batter as well. They taste very bright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is quite a dense cupcake. I think it's better to eat them with a fork and pretend like it's a piece of cake...lol.

    The recipe I had for some reason called for 2 different kinds of flour, but I would say using all self-rising would definitely be something to try to make the cupcakes lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this recipe many times and I too felt it was dense. I now add about 1/4 c of milk, and it helps to produce a lighter cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm going to make these today. I'm curious, did anyone try it with all self rising flour? Did it make a difference?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails